Community Information: Storms
From May to September rain, gale force winds and squalls are characteristic of weather experienced by WA residents from Geraldton to Esperance.
Severe storms accompanied by lightning, hail and flash flooding can cause damage to homes and properties if homeowners and residents are unprepared. Residents can minimise this damage by taking a few simple steps to prepare for winter storms and stay Storm Safe.
You can start by preparing your home and surrounding property in late April or throughout May:
- carry out a roof and gutter inspection of your home
- clear gutters and downpipes of leaf litter
- ensure branches are trimmed clear of your home and power lines
- secure and tidy your yard of loose objects
- ensure you have a torch and radio with spare batteries ready inside your home
What should I do during a storm?
- If you're home when a storm passes through, be sure to stay inside away from windows.
- close curtains or blinds
- ensure pets and animals are secure
- turn off electrical appliances
- don't use landline telephones (mobile phones are safe to use during a storm)
- If caught outside, seek shelter in a vehicle or building but don't shelter under trees. If driving during a storm, pull over and park until the storm passes.
- Remember to stay clear of trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams. After the storm has passed, motorists should not drive into water of unknown depth and current.
What if my home or property is storm damaged?
First, assess the storm damage to your home and property. Then determine which agency can assist you (see below) and call for assistance.
The following agencies can provide help in a range of situations:
- In a life-threatening situation, dial 000.
- State Emergency Service volunteers can assist people with other emergency situations, such as undertaking temporary building repairs to prevent further storm damage.
- For SES emergency assistance, dial 132 500.
- Contact your insurance company or a licensed tradesperson to make appropriate arrangements.
- Western Power can be contacted on 13 13 51 to report damage to power lines or if the power is out.
- The Water Corporation handles interruptions to water supplies on 13 13 75
- Alinta Gas can be reached on 13 13 52 for problems associated with gas supply.
Need more information?
Additional brochures to help you find out more about being Storm Safe may be downloaded from DFES website at: www.dfes.wa.gov.au